Back to School: Sales Tax Holiday
August means back to school – which means Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday. In Florida for 2022, those dates run from July 25 through August 7th. What retail items can you purchase during these dates and not pay sales tax?
- Clothing, footwear, and certain accessories with a sales price of $100 or less per item
- Certain school supplies with a sales price of $50 or less per item
- Learning aids and jigsaw puzzles with a sales price of $30 or less
- Personal computers and certain computer-related accessories with a sales price of $1,500 or less when purchased for noncommercial home or personal use
What does the tax holiday not apply to:
- Any item of clothing with a sales price of more than $100
- Any school supply item with a sales price of more than $50
- Books that are not otherwise exempt
- Computers and computer-related accessories with a sales price of more than $1,500
- Computers and computer-related accessories purchased for commercial purposes
- Rentals of any eligible item
- Repairs or alterations of any eligible item
- Sales of any eligible items within a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment or airport
For more details see the full Tax Information Publication #22A01-08.
Don’t live in Florida – most states have something similar – check out what benefits and the time frame of what your state might offer by searching www.taxadmin.org/2022-sales-tax-holiday.